Labels

my photos (3) my poetry (10) quotes (18)

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

to bear witness

"In so many ways, I wish I had not seen what I saw. Oil out to sea from horizon to horizon; people sick; marshes burned; hope collapsing. It will be years before we know the truth of this BP blowout in the Gulf of Mexico. I am now accountable. How to change my life and become more deliberate in all my actions, large and small? May my eyes stay open to the beauty of this world and act. This is my daily mantra."

"A friend said to me the other day, 'You are married to sorrow.' And I said, 'No, I just choose not to look away.' There is joy in facing the truth of our lives whether it is through beauty or terror. Perhaps it is about presence, choosing to be present with where we find ourselves at any given moment. I simply try to bear witness to what I see through the language of story."

"To bear witness is not a passive act. It can lead us to acts of consciousness and consequence."



--all from Terry Tempest Williams, in and around The Gulf Between Us

No comments:

Post a Comment